The Princess Fritter: I Love Chewing Gum

Sunday, May 18, 2003

Saw The Matrix tonight. I have to say I was quite impressed. I'm not usually one to be all "oooooh special effects".. but I was.. a few times. And not only were they really cool but I thought they were really well done too.. with the exception of one scene that looked a little too HP Quidditch scenes CG. But othat than that it was dope. Even despite my on-the-spot deconstruction of racial representations, subtext, and visual elements. I swear, all these film classes I'm taking and the ones I've taken before are really ruining movies for me. I spent a fair amount of time identifying ambiguous space, surface divisions, and aspect ratio. Not to mention noting where the focal points were and what kind of tensions it created. Then I couldn't help but notice the largely ethnic cast, and moreover, the non-white, non-Christian cultural representations. And of course I couldn't help but note the stark contrast between the sleek, hi-tech world inside the Matrix and the almost primitive-like real world, each with their own analogous color scheme. And I even noticed the music. I usually notice music but generally when it's a song or something. This time I was rather taken in by instrumental arrangements. The whole experience was a bit overwhelming for me. A little strange. But in a good way.
There is more to say on other things but for now I'm tired. Goodnight moon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home