I lied. One more pre-Hawaii blog. I just wanted to say that I hate coffee. Or at least, regular coffee past 8:00. I had a cup at like 10 and I couldn't fall asleep until like 6-something am, then woke up at 8:30. Not cool! Although I guess at least I didn't waste the morning away sleeping...
Unrelated. My grandfather, repeat GRANDFATHER, a perpetually grumpy, technologically challenged 68-year-old Chinese man got an iPod. Yes, an iPod. What does he know about digital music? Nothing. What does he know about MP3s? Nothing. Why does he have not just any MP3 player, but an iPod *cue choir singing and angelic back-lighting*? Because there is a technological madness and snobbery that exists within the upper echelons of my family. My grandfather basically wants every cool new useful-to-other-people piece of technology despite the fact that it takes him weeks if not months to get a cursory working knowledge of said electronic gadget and despite the fact that he gets top-of-line everything but never makes full use of it's top-of-the-line capabilities. Admittedly, whatever bitter, frustrated tone you detect is due in part to a tinge of jealousy. Aftrer all, I'm the one that wanted the iPod, that knew what it was, and that has more music than I know what to do with. But also, it just seems so unnecessary. I know he's not going to use it all that much--at most when he goes on trips--which should make me happy cuz that'll mean that I can use it, but that's besides the point. Oh, I should also point out that it was my uncle who got it for him. It was justified as being an anniversary present for my grandparents but 1) their anniversary isn't for another month, and 2) my grandmother showed little, if any, interest in it. I don't know what bothers me so much about this whole thing, but it does. It just seems too indulgent, too extravagent. I sooo want any kind of MP3 player and would use it all the freakin time, but I haven't bothered to get one because even I don't think I really need it all that much. So what ever does my perpetually frowning, can't-remember-how-to-cut-paste-and-save grandfather need with one??? It's a world gone mad I tell ya... (Love you, family!!)
I was reading up on Wild Thang last night and there was a bit about how everyone should be single for a while, as he recently had, so they can appreciate being in a relationship, as he now is. That's all well and good, and I'm totally happy for him, but BLAH! Why does everyone have to be in a relationship?! Why is it that again, I am the lone singleton? And why am I made to feel like it's such a bad thing? Why is being single something that is good only because it emphasizes the greatness that is being in a relationship? This is really not a fully processed rant but it was bugging me last night. That's all.
As Lisa put it: Starting tomorrow, Dirty Dancing Hawaii Nights. Holla!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home