For the last month I've had the slightest glimpse of what it might be like to be a parent. A single parent at that. Yes, taking care of a puppy is like taking care of a baby. They need constant care and attention, they can't be left alone for long periods of time, they do bad things, but it's hard to get mad at them because they are just the cutest little things ever... or, at least, mine was.
Tonight I had to give up my pup. I knew this was coming and it's for the best--she's gone to a family with a nice home and yard and even some kids to play with--but I still miss her. Admittedly she was a little monster at times, but she was my little monster. I guess I should be glad that I got to keep her for as long as I did. At one point I thought I'd only have her for two weeks at most, but for an untold number of reasons, I had her for the month. In that month I had a lot more time to get attatched and take those 5 million pictures that new parents take (and apparently new dog owners too).
In the beginning she stressed me out to no end. But as I got closer to having to give her up the more and started feeling like a dog owner. It came easier to say things like "my dog" and give people all the info on her breed and age and temperment and whatnot. The longer I had her, the more attatched I got. On those few days that I had a break from her (big thanks to Tiff and Eric!!), I was relieved at first to be able to do things without having to worry about her, but by the end of the day I missed her. I miss her now. I liked having that little puppy face around. I liked watching her wrestle with and eventually fetch Hippo. It was nice to have her curl up at my feet and go to sleep, and then later come put her head up on the bed when she saw me go to bed and wanted to get up too. Even when I was on campus and a friend was watching her, I found myself walking faster and faster to get to her, even if just to see her for a minute. More than once I acted out that running-through-a-crowded-area-to-hug-someone-slow-mo-style scene. And of course puppy would coming running towards me, there was jumping, licking, tail wagging... (and she was happy too.. ba-dump-bump!)
But she's gone now. She's at her new home, probably asleep right now. I took me a long time to get used to having her around, but I think it's gonna take a while to get used to not having her around now. My room is oddly quiet; I'm bored and alone; I can go back to doing laundry and going running and just plain going out without worrying about having a puppy sitter or if she'll cry or if someone will hear her or see us. It's basically just going back to my life a month ago, but it's been quite a month. I guess all I can say is that at least I got to have her for the month. It was a good month.. now I just miss my puppy...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home